If it Kills Me - iNeed a Playdate If it Kills Me iNeed a Playdate a Blog for Northeast Ohio Moms

2.03.2012

If it Kills Me


“You want to go where?”

She turned down her iPod as Jason Mraz crooned, "And baby that's a case of my wishful thinking..."

“Happy hour,” he replied, “with you.”

It’s about time, she thought but was trying to stay calm.

It was, technically, a company event, not a date. But, an event that she had emphatically said she would not attend when another of her co-workers had asked if she was going.

“I suppose we could hang out,” she said slowly, tilting her head to look up at him, trying to gauge his intentions.

“I think we are obligated to go.”

“Obligated? Really?”

“Yes, obligated. We need to represent those outside the cliques.”

He was starting to lose his nerve. He had been practicing for an hour on how he would ask but he had been working up the nerve for about a week to go through with it.

Her iPod sang on, "As the feeling inside keeps building and I will find a way to you if it kills me…"

“Would that not make us our own clique?” she said coyly, trying not to let her enthusiasm show, yet.

“I suppose,” he suppressed a grin and as he spoke his eyes lit up.

Have his eyes always been so damn blue?

She knew she was going to say yes. How could she not say yes when he was looking at her like that. He always looked at her like that and it was not her imagination. She felt her cheeks grow red but would not break his gaze.

“Okay”

“Really?”

Sure, she might have to explain to her boyfriend why she changed her mind. On the other hand, it is work related and she should really attend. Anti-social people never move ahead. Then again, he might not even wonder at all.

When was the last time he took notice of her comings and goings? She often wondered if he even saw her when they were together. She felt invisible with him and looked forward to the nights she slept alone.

Her iPod keep singing, “And all I really want from you is to feel me...”

To hell with my boyfriend.

“Yes, I will go to happy hour with you.”

And as they walked into the bar, all they heard was Jason Mraz… Hello, tell me you know, yeah, you figured me out.








Write On Edge: Red-Writing-HoodWe’ve asked you to show us in 400 words or less how your character reacts to a piece of music. Did music advance a story line or flesh out a character–or both?

Google+ Google+